Friday, August 9, 2013

House Tour - Baby's Room

While I'm counting down the days until I have a baby in my arms and not in my belly, I thought I'd give you a tour of our little one's room.

To give you an idea of what I was working with, here is the before picture.

Before

This was taken before the old owners moved out. The room had hot pink walls and closet doors and a green door. I think this illustrates why you should never let teenagers pick paint colors (we also have a black room courtesy of a teenage boy).

I always knew this would someday be a nursery so I painted it two years ago when we started talking seriously about baby making. I was inspired by a light gray color I saw in the magazine Style At Home. This room had purple and blue accents and I knew it would work perfectly for either a boy or a girl. When I saw one of my favorite home blogs, For The Love of a House, used the same color in her kitchen, I was sold.

Here is the room today.

Baby room

The color is Benjamin Moore's Gray Owl. I also had to repaint the trim because it was not my preferred semi-gloss finish. The doors also got a few coats of Benjamin Moore's Simply White.

We wanted a cozy rug for baby to play on. I know it's too small for the size of the room (baby is lucky to have a huge room and his own bathroom too!) but it's all we could afford right now. On the plus side, it's the softest rug I've ever felt.

Baby room

In this corner, I placed a student's abandoned shop class project that I scooped up on the last day of school. I painted it using Benjamin Moore's Cloud White. I collect milk glass and have found a few old milk glass lamps over the years that I have rewired to be a little less of a fire hazard. Beside the lamp, is a stack of swaddles that I hope baby likes and underneath the table is a basket of stuffed animals that have been gifted to him.

Baby room

We were very fortunate to have RDog's parents offer to buy us the crib and mattress. And they were very patient with me as I picked out the right mattress (no scratchy vinyl please!) It is topped with an organic mattress cover and an Aden and Anais crib sheet. Babies spend so much time sleeping, I wanted to get him the best stuff to sleep on!

In the corner is an old shelving unit that we've had for years. It's traveled from our kitchen, dining room, basement, office to here. I hope to upgrade to a nice locally made bookcase soon (something like this in white). The shelves display some of the gifts he has received.

Baby room

Hopefully, he'll be stylish and like hats.

Baby room

Originally, I wanted a glider that didn't look like a glider, something like this. But again it was out of the budget. We settled on this one from Walmart. It is remarkably comfortable. And because it was less than $200, I won't feel guilty about getting rid of it when baby gets big. It's too ugly to stay in my house forever!

Baby room


This little shelf is one my father built for me when I was a kid to store my cds. We don't actually own a cd player but after a coat of paint, it became the perfect little shelf for books and knickknacks. The basket is from HomeSense and filled with blankets that were received as gifts (the top blanket was crocheted by RDog's mother).

Baby room

On this wall, we have his dresser that my father built me years ago. I upgraded to a new, much larger dresser and gave this one to baby. It needs some artwork above it but I haven't found anything that is just right and baby won't notice for a long time anyways!

My mother was convinced I would not need a designated changing spot and pad, so I compromised and went cheap, picking up a cheap plastic changing pad at Babies R Us. If it turns out we don't use it, it's no big loss. The top drawer holds all the diaper changing essentials. Next to the dresser, we put my childhood table set.

Baby room

I love opening his drawers, looking at his teenie clothes and smelling them too (baby smell is the best!)

Baby room

On the last wall on the room, baby has lots of closet space (lucky kid!).

Baby room

There's lots of room for all the diapers we've been gifted and his bigger clothes.

Baby room

More room for future toy storage. Which is great; this Momma does not like messes!

On the bottom are my hospital bags. I'm ready to get this show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment