Monday, March 11, 2013

I Love My Dentist

March 11, 2013

Dress: Boden (thrifted)
Cardigan: J Crew
Shoes: Naturalizer
Necklace: Lia Sophia

I went to my dentist today to get my tooth fixed. While eating eggs and toast Friday morning, half of a tooth randomly fell out. I felt like such a dirt bag. I mean, who loses a tooth? I take care of my teeth, I do really.

The hygienist assured me that this is a fairly common occurrence related to old silver fillings separating from the tooth and causing the tooth to become weaker. I had a butt load of cavities when I was a child and as a result have a mouthful of old silver mercury fillings.

The dentist was going to take the old silver filling out and put in a nice white one. He started the process but was really quiet, which is odd because he is usually a really sociable guy. Then he stopped and said he really wasn't comfortable with it. Although there is no scientific findings, it is mercury and I am pregnant so he thought it would be better to wait until after the baby comes for the filling removing. I agreed; the whole mercury thing freaks me out. So he patched me up with a temporary plug to get me through the next year without a hole in my tooth. No needles were needed - yeah!

 I was out of there a few minutes later feeling happy and much less like a dirt bag. However, next year for sure I'm going to start the process of getting these nasty old silver fillings out of my mouth.

Does anyone have any experience with silver fillings? Did you have them removed?

No comments:

Post a Comment