Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Inspire

May 31, 2013

May 31, 2013

Dress: Old Navy
Clutch: Danier Leather
Shoes: Karen Scott
Pearls: RDog

I wore this last week to a staff retirement dinner. I gave in and ordered a batch of pretty dresses to get me through prom/graduation/wedging season. Unfortunately, they arrived the day after this event.

I tried my best to dress up one of the few dresses that fits me. I was worried that I would be under-dressed but as it was a very hot day, everyone was in casual little sundresses. Whew!

One of the retirees was a personal mentor of mine. He helped me a lot during my first years of teaching and is an example of the type of history teacher I want to become.

There were a lot of speeches and some great stories about the two teachers who retired. One story I really took to heart. My mentor every year threw out all his "stuff". For those not familiar to teaching, we keep a binder of "stuff" (lesson plans) to be used next year. My mentor said,  "New students deserve new ideas." He started fresh every year.

This really brought home how complacent I've become with my job lately, especially this past semester. I've been doing the same old thing with little change. After my maternity leave, I really want to get back to work at becoming a better teacher. Even in retirement, my mentor is still inspiring me!

No comments:

Post a Comment