Sunday, June 12, 2011

Robin Watch 2011

Today was our last day with the robins.

The biggest robin flew out of the nest early this morning and quickly disappeared.

The remaining robins then had their lunch.

Robins

And then got their bums cleaned.

Robins

After Momma Robin demonstrated many times how flying works, the next robin got up the courage to give it a try. Here he is getting up the courage to go.

Robins

He wasn't very successful and landed on the deck below.

Robins

He decided to just walk.

Robins

He walked through the backyard and into the driveway.

Robins

With Momma Robin following to keep an eye on things.

Robins

And then there was one.

Robins


This little fella decided to go slow with this flying thing, despite his mother flying in and out of the nest all day while screaming at him to get out of her house.

Finally, at the end of the day, he hesitantly flew out on to our lawn where he chilled for a bit. He then started following his momma around as she found some worms for him.

Now we are left with an empty nest.

Robins

It still holds the 4th egg that did not hatch.

It was bittersweet to see the robins go,. We had such fun watching them. On the bright side, we are happy to go out into our backyard without being accosted by two angry robins.

At least we thought we wouldn't be yelled at any more.

The momma must be having a yard time letting go of her little ones. She keeps flying in and out of the empty nest. When RDog went outside to BBQ our supper, she threw a screaming fit when she saw him near her nest.


After the past month, a robin's scream will forever be ingrained in my memory.

10 comments:

  1. Awwwww! How exciting and sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story with us! How cute are they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little sad tonight when I went outside and there were no robins around.

    I was such a nerd today. For 7 hours, I sat in the porch beside their nest. i read a book but mostly I watched "Robin TV". I'm so glad this happened on a Sunday. I would have been sooooo sad if all the action went down when I was at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thanks for sharing :) Their nest amazes me; from one view it looks haphazardly put together and chaotic, but from the top view its obviously not and very well made. Did the second robin ever fly or just take a leisurely stroll? Did I mention that I'm fascinated? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've really enjoyed following the robins with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad. And your pictures are lovely. And how you chronicle it like David Attenborough.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MJ, I hope the robin learned how to fly! I think he must have because the mom was not leaving his side when he was hopping around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you cmf122.

    J, I had never heard of David Attenborough so I had to do some Googling; that is quite the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. she might have a second brood- it is early in the year..so she may be shrieking at you and the cats Again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be so sad to see them go! Nature is so wonderful, how cool you got to experience this =)

    ReplyDelete